When you are looking for a Washington DC motorcycle accident attorney you will find many from which to choose, but not all are created equal. When it comes to personal injury or liability claims, which car accident claims usually fall under, it’s important to retain a firm that is well versed in these specific areas of the law.
Cohen and Cohen, P.C. is a firm with more than one Washington DC motorcycle accident attorney you can count on for effective and honest legal representation. Regardless of what you believe or have been told about your case, we encourage you to speak with one of our experienced lawyers who understands the complex laws surrounding car accidents and litigation. For a free consultation, please call our firm today at (202) 999-3284.
What can I do to protect my interests after a motorcycle accident?
You might be confident that you have a valid legal claim, but you may not realize what you should and shouldn’t do before contacting a motorcycle accident attorney in Washington DC. Realistically, you should always contact a lawyer as soon as possible, but if there is a gap between the incident in the time you reach out to Cohen and Cohen, P.C., please consider the following:
- Make a police report – Depending on where the accident occurred, and the damage involved, the police may or may not respond to the scene after you call them. If they inform you that they cannot respond, you will have to go to the police station and file an accident report. You should do this as soon as possible because it will be required by the insurance carriers involved as well as your Washington DC motorcycle accident attorney.
- Identify witnesses – If there were any witnesses to the accident, request their full name, address, and telephone number. Also request that they describe in writing what they saw. They will need to sign and date their written account.
- Take photographs – If possible, take photographs and/or video footage of the scene using your cell phone. Images of the involved vehicles, the immediate surroundings, road conditions, and injuries can all be useful to prove your claim. If photographs are not possible because of your injuries hurt, a lawyer may be able to use an alternative such as closed circuit television cameras.
- Seek medical attention – It is prudent you see a doctor as soon as possible. Disregarding this could have a serious impact on your claim – possibly even making it null and void. Make sure you tell the doctor how the accident happened as well as all of your resulting injuries. Be honest, but do not take any blame for the accident.
- Be mindful of the insurance company – You have a duty to let your insurance company know what happened. However, it is not your duty or obligation to cooperate or give a statement to any other insurance company. In fact, it is highly recommended that you avoid speaking with another party’s insurance company without first speaking to a Washington DC motorcycle accident attorney.
- Avoid taking the blame – Even if you suspect you were at fault, or partially at fault, it is advisable to avoid making any statements that could lead people to believe you are taking the blame. After an investigation into the accident, your attorney may determine that you were not actually at fault.
Cohen and Cohen, P.C. Is on Your Side
If you would like to have your questions or concerns personally addressed, please call our firm today. For a free consultation with a Washington DC motorcycle accident attorney, call (202) 999-3284.